Asbestos Supervisor Course
NZQA Unit Standard 29767
This Asbestos Supervisor course covers NZQA Unit Standard 29767.
Eventually, the health hazards from being exposed to asbestos fibres from friable and non-friable asbestos-containing materials were discovered, and today it remains the number one workplace killer in many countries. Over the years, the world has seen the growing need to safely dispose of asbestos and asbestos-containing materials (ACM).
New Zealand legislation requires businesses involved in the removal of both friable and non-friable asbestos to nominate a qualified supervisor for every job, so it is only important that those involved this type of work have supervisors that are compliant and knowledgeable both in theory and in practice.
A supervisor is required for friable asbestos removal of any amount. Workers with Class A asbestos removal licence must ensure that they perform the removal under the supervision of a nominated asbestos supervisor. Supervisors must also have the certification and must have the relevant industry experience.
Similarly, when Class B asbestos work is carried out by more than one person, a Class B supervisor must be readily available at the worksite. The supervisor must also have the correct certification and the relevant industry experience to carry out the removal.
Who Should Attend
Asbestos professionals who intend to become supervisors must have any of the following certifications:
- Class A supervisor – NZQA Unit Standard 29766 – Remove friable asbestos
- Class B supervisor – NZQA Unit Standard 29765 – Remove non–friable asbestos
Asbestos supervisors must also meet the required level of experience:
- Class A supervisor – three years relevant industry experience in removing friable asbestos
- Class B supervisor – one year of relevant experience in removing non-friable asbestos
WorkSafe New Zealand recognises this Asbestos Supervisor NZ Unit Standard 29767. People credited with this unit standard should be able to:
- Plan for asbestos removal
- Prepare site for removal
- Supervise testing, compliance, and documentation in consultation with the assessor and the asbestos removalist
- Oversee removal and decontamination processes
- Supervise and support team members
Workplace practices for professionals supervising the removal process must meet obligations required under current law including but not limited to: Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, Health and Safety at Work (Asbestos) Regulations 2016, WorkSafe New Zealand Approved Code of Practice for the Management and Removal of Asbestos, and any subsequent amendments and replacements.
OTHER ASBESTOS COURSES AVAILABLE
Conduct Asbestos Assessment