A Guide to Getting Your Asbestos Ticket

Asbestos, a common building material, only poses a risk if you inhale its fibres, which are released when asbestos-containing materials (ACM) or surfaces are disturbed. Some of the building materials commonly containing asbestos include insulation components, floor tiles, sheet flooring, and roofing.

The good thing is that New Zealand has banned the import and export of asbestos products by 2016. Nevertheless, the health and safety threats are still present and will likely still be present for decades to come. After all, ACM has been in use in the country for decades.

All of these simply mean that there remains to be a high demand for asbestos removal experts. If you’re planning on getting an asbestos removal licence, here’s what you need to know.

Who Should Get an Asbestos Licence?

According to the Asbestos Regulations 2016, any contractor who may be involved with asbestos abatement and/or removal for more than 10m2 needs an asbestos ticket. In particular, self-employed individuals, traders, or a person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) who carry out jobs on pre-2000 properties need to have this licence.

In addition, those who are planning to supervise asbestos removal need further training. The supervisor should have the appropriate licence as required for the job, as well as the necessary field experience.

Conducting any kind of asbestos removal work without the appropriate licence is an offence under New Zealand’s Asbestos Regulations.

Types of Asbestos Removal Licence

There are two types of asbestos removal licence that one can apply for: Class A and Class B. Class A is valid for any friable asbestos work, while Class B is valid for any amount of non-friable asbestos amounting to more than 10 square metres.

If the amount of non-friable asbestos is below 10 square metres, no licence is required.

For the Class A licence, the holder can either be an individual or a business. In addition, if the holder fulfils the necessary criteria, they can also be appointed as the supervisor. A Class A asbestos removal licence holder can also remove both friable and non-friable asbestos as long as they have a certified safety management system.

For the Class B licence, the holder can either be a sole trader or a business. They can also be the nominated supervisor. Do note that while the Class B licence only allows for the removal of non-friable asbestos, it can also be used for the removal of asbestos-containing dust or debris (ACD) associated with the removal of non-friable asbestos or asbestos-containing material (ACM).

Other Kinds of Asbestos Training

Companies like CC Training Academy also offer other kinds of training programmes related to asbestos removal. These include the following:

Asbestos Awareness

Before you are able to safely handle and remove a hazardous material such as asbestos, you first need to know what it is and where it can be found. After all, its fibres aren’t visible to the naked eye.

This is why asbestos awareness is crucial in becoming a licenced asbestos removal professional. Aside from finding and identifying asbestos, this training course also provides information on how to avoid disturbing asbestos and thus release its fibres. The course also includes safety instructions when it comes to asbestos handling.

Anyone interested in acquiring a Class A or Class B licence should attend this type of training programme. Building and construction workers, as well as maintenance and repair workers, will benefit from taking an asbestos awareness course. Finally, emergency service workers such as firefighters would also do well to take this training.

Asbestos Supervisor

As previously mentioned, any asbestos removal project requires a supervisor to be present. For Class A work, the supervisor must have the corresponding licence and at least 3 years of industry experience in friable asbestos removal.

For Class B work, on the other hand, a supervisor must be available at the site if there is more than one person working. Aside from having the correct licence, a Class B asbestos removal supervisor should have 1 year of experience in removing non-friable asbestos.

Licenced asbestos removal professionals should undergo asbestos supervisor training and acquire the following certifications: For Class A, NZQA Unit Standard 29766 (Australian Equivalent CPCCDE3015A). For Class B, NZQA Unit Standard 29765 (Australian Equivalent CPCCDE3014A).

Note that supervisors can be nominated on more than one licence. In addition, a licence holder may nominate themselves as supervisor, as long as they meet the competency requirements.

How to Start Your Asbestos Removal Training

To start your journey towards becoming an asbestos removal professional, you must undergo the training and fill out an application form and submit the required supporting documentation to WorkSafe. These should be ready for submission along with your application form, together with the corresponding fee.

Do note that applicants for an asbestos removal licence must be at least 18 years old. Other than that, anyone may be eligible to apply. For those who are looking for courses, CC Training Academy offers accredited training that can be conducted in-person at our Takapuna facility.

For questions and more information, you may visit https://cctrainingacademy.co.nz/, call 0800 800 273 or email [email protected].